Apply for SuppoRTT
How to apply for Supported Return to Training
1. Fill out a pre-absence form with your supervisor (this can be TPD, ES, Clinical Tutor, college tutor, etc).
a) This will guide your conversation around how to keep in contact while out of training and what resources you think you might need on your return.
During the COVID-19 response, the pre-absence meeting can be agreed by email or phone with your supervisor, TPD, SuppoRTT champion, or another appropriate consultant. You do not need to arrange a face-to-face meeting.
a) This will guide a conversation to highlight any support you might need such as Supervised Clinical Sessions or shadowing arrangements, Refresher courses and/or Coaching.
During the COVID-19 response, the pre-return meeting can be agreed by email or phone with your supervisor, TPD, SuppoRTT champion, or another appropriate consultant. You do not need to arrange a face-to-face meeting.
b) Request any Supervised Clinical Sessions/shadowing arrangements. These must be agreed with your Head of School, Dean, Deputy Dean or Training Programme Director prior to submitting the form.
Supervised clinical sessions can be used to provide you with a short period on your return with adjusted duties to help you return to normal duties safely and confidently. This may be as an additional member of staff (supernumerary), with enhanced supervised practice, focused learning activities or direct observation of clinical activities.
c) Share plans with HR/medical staffing.
Medical staffing/HR processes must have been completed before trainees can undertake any return-to-work activities involving clinical contact
a) If, when completing your return to work form with your supervisor, you identify a course not currently accessible through your study budget, SuppoRTT may be able to provide funding. A full list of courses covered by the study budget can be found here: https://lasepgmdesupport.hee.nhs.uk/support/home?studyleave.
b) Likewise, if the course is covered by the study budget but you cannot access the study budget funding (e.g. if you are on an OOPC, OOPE or OOPR), SuppoRTT may be able to provide funding.
4. Consider coaching and other PSU services to maintain wellbeing and resilience.
a) The Professional Support Unit offers support, guidance and information to healthcare professionals, including one-to-one educational support and remote coaching. For more information, please visit the PSU website here.
b) If you are on maternity leave, you may also wish to consider the Leadership Academy's Return to Work Mentoring programme.
5. Keep checking the website for further news, courses and resources.
6. If you need further advice or have any concerns about your return, Trust or School SuppoRTT champions, HR or others who are co-ordinating trainee placements in your trust or training programme can signpost you.
7. When you and your supervisor are happy that you don’t want any further support you can sign off the final return to training form.