This second stage focuses ion the information you need to make a decision.
Listed below are some of the questions you may like to find answes to.
What are the competition rates for the different specialities?
Where can I find out further information about each speciality?
- Researching the person specifications for each specility.
- Use the BMA speciality explorer tool to support your research into the medical specialites.
- As a foundation doctor you are entitled to up to career based 5 taster days to experience different specialites. Certain specialites even organise structured taster week programmes.
- LinkedIn is an excellent way to find out about specilities and the different paths people have taken within these.
Where can I find out information about the application process?
How are the the specilaity applications assessed?
Application Scoring Framework and Guidance for the specialities can give clear information about how the application will be assessed. They are not avaliable for every specility but very helpful when avaliabl. Please see below for examples:
Who can help provide me with the answers?
- speaking to those in the profession can be an excellent way to find out a realistic view of the speciality - here is a useful video that outlines virtual networking
- the Royal Colleges have excellent information and guidance