Professional Support Unit
The Professional Support Unit (PSU) is a free service primarily dedicated to supporting the progression of postgraduate training for NHS healthcare professionals. We work independently of Specialty Schools, training Programme or Trusts and can offer confidential and impartial support or advice for those who need it.
The services we currently offer via the PSU include:
- Confidential 1:1 support or advice via the Single Point of Contact (SPOC) or Individual Support Team (IST)
- Careers advice
- Access to confidential Mental Health services for doctors & dentists
- Specialist Communication & Liguistics skills support
- Access to Dyslexia assessments
- Support for those Returning to Practice
- Free development courses, conferences & e-leaning
- Access to wellbeing & self-management resources
PSU support during COVID-19 pandemic
We have increased and adapted the range of our services to support you as you face unprecedented circumstances during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our COVID-19 Wellbeing hub has further information regarding:
- Online Wellbeing Resources (podcasts, webinars, self-support advice, links to HEE & external resources available for trainees)
- 1:1 Support (free, confidential & independent 1:1 conversation with a senior PSU lead via telephone or on-line teleconferencing platforms)
- Virtual Group Support (free, confidential trainee peer support groups faciltated by a trained group facilitator)
- Online Courses (a range of e-learning and wellbeing/support courses we will be delivering via teleconferencing platforms)
Urgent/immediate psychological support in a crisis
You can access free & confidential psychological or mental health support 24/7 via
- The NHS Frontline service for all NHS staff: Call 0300 131 7000 (between 7am-11pm) or Text 'FRONTLINE' to 85258 (24hrs/day)
- NHS Bereavement & Loss Helpline for NHS staff: Call 0300 303 4434 (between 7am-11pm)
- The BMA's 24/7 counselling service for all doctors (including non BMA members): Call 0330 123 1245 or visit The BMA
- The Samaritans: Call 116 123 or visit Samaritans
- The Practitioner Support Programme's crisis line: Text NHSPH to 85258 or visit Practitioner Health
Who can access the PSU?
Healthcare professionals within London and Kent, Surrey & Sussex, specifically:
- Postgraduate Doctors & Dentists who hold a London or KSS training number (Foundation years until CCT)
- Healthcare professionals between Bands 5 - 8 in a recognised training scheme (eg nurse preceptorship or development for more specialised clinical roles)
- Pharmacists in training:
- Pre-registration Pharmacists (1yr post degree programme in Trusts ) & Pharmacy technicians (2 year programme employed by Trusts)
- Foundation Pharmacists (2 years post registration)
- Clinical Pharmacists undertaking the 18 month General practice pharmacist training pathway as part of the NHS England pilot
- Doctors who have passed the entry requirements & have been offered a placement on the Induction & Returning (I&R), Retainer or International GP recruitment (IGPR) workforce schemes
How to access the PSU support?
Access to the PSU is by self-referral. Each of the tabs above provides information about the services provided by the PSU and the contact/application information for each service. Alternatively, if you are unsure of what services would be most useful or you would like to access multiple services, please complete the following online application form.
Questions and queries?
If you cannot find the answer to your question on these web pages and wish to speak to a PSU Coordinator please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For contract related matters please first discuss issues with your line manager or employer (GP LEO for GP trainees or Trust HR department for all other trainees)
- For physical health related problem, you can also consult your GP or your local Trust's Occupational Health Department
- For questions regarding your rotation you should liaise with the HET team or your Training Programme Director.